My I.C.E. path

I've been tinkering with audio stuff (but I don't want to be called an audiophile) since grade 5. I was introduced to reel tape decks, tube amplifiers, and turntables by my tito and tita. Those sonic qualities became my sound preference.


I've had a long journey with home audio already. I've built and designed my own amps, speakers, pre-amps, headphone amps, etc.

Car audio was not a big thing for me. My first "high-end" headunit was the Alpine 7909, and I was contented with what it puts out. I have accepted the fact that car audio SQ will (subjectively) not match home audio. The car is not a conducive place to listen. On all my previous cars, I've made subtle changes such as change of HU and/or speakers. Subtle, nothing high end.

The Impreza Premium Audio System

So I got the Impreza, featuring a 10-speaker Premium Audio. The system is made in Clarion's China manufacturing facility for Subaru. So what's the bottomline?

For me, the moment I listened to the radio source, I would question the word Premium. To put it bluntly, ngongo (nasal sounding and lacks details). The CD source will be much, much better once the unit has been tuned. It gives you control over Bass, Treble, and Mids. I have found a combination that is acceptable to me.

I also like the fact that I have 6-CD changer (yeah, you might say old school) which is convenient, as I can stuff all my classic rock favorites with gusto. SRS Circle Auto processing (turn it on and listen), and an AUX input which allowed me to connect my Sansa Fuze and listen to my FLAC and OGG decoded music.

For me, the Premium Audio System, is decent. So, just set it up properly and enjoy the music.

Kaso, naginarte ako...

The search for better sound

I decided to do a little setup for my Impreza. My goal is to achieve a better sound, and vowed not to spend more than 1/8 the cost of my home audio.

While researching for a replacement HU, I was side tracked by all the bling the new HU in the market offers. Almost every cool want, is available. From bluetooth, to DVD, to multiple display, navigation, etc, etc.

I almost got a JVC unit (KD-AVX77) because it has everything for about $450. But I came back to my senses and said I should stick to the goal.

I set up my own criteria to filter out all the HU available. I want control, and that's how I've always been in home audio. I don't buy something I don't have control over. For example, setting up the soundstage and imaging would require me spending hours to position the speakers. Hours to achieve sense of depth and height, a performance that's "in the room" so to speak. I can't do this with car audio. The speakers are fixed, so unless I make a major surgery and screw up the interior of the car, I have to find one to give me that flexibility.

My criteria then becomes-

1. I must have control over the cross over frequencies for the speakers, right in the unit itself, and that means Active X-over.

2. I must have control over the travel of sound coming from each speaker. I need Time Alignment.

3. I need control over x-over slope.

4. I need control over sound equalization.

5. I need control over amplification options.

6. I need to have control on my spending

I decided to do this in stages. I opine that the speakers from the Premium Audio ain't that bad to begin with. I can only prove this if I have something to compare to with the stock HU. Did the reasearch and it yielded four candidates from Clarion, Alpine, Pioneer, and Eclipse.

The Eclipse 7200 went out first, as it violates criterion #5 above. It does not have a built-in amp.

The Clarion is next to go, as I can't find one locally and I have this notion of "Clarion na naman..."

So it's a toss up between Pioneer and Alpine. The models that meet all critera are the Pioneer P80RSII (1st generation, local release), P800PRS (2nd generation, US only), and P99RS (current generation). For Alpine, it was down to 9886 (with USB and no IMPRINT signal processing) and 9887 (with IMPRINT signal processing but no USB).

Mickey's only offer the Pioneer classified Stage 4 unit, the P99RS. I found the P80RSII at Roadstar and Autoline. The 9886 and 9887 are available almost everywhere.

At the end of the day, I went with the Alpine 9886 + H100 (IMPRINT module) combination. Without IMPRINT, I will not meet criterion #1 - #5.

Is it actually better?

Based on further research, I already have an amplifier + speaker combo, but I'm pushing the potential of the stock speakers. I'm the type of person who does things slowly in stages, as I take these opportunities (sometimes expensive) as a learning process.

Audio is highly subjective. The tuning Autoline did revealed immediate improvements with the stock speakers. I'm going to push it further. I literally had to shove the Alpine manual into my head just before I slept.

When I woke up, I still have the configuration visualized in my head. I went to the car and turned on the unit for tuning. After 30 minutes, I have some sense of satisfaction, a little smile.

Does it end here?

Comments

Popular Posts