My I.C.E. path, continues...

I am very pleased with how this project is tuning out. I am now able to optimize the current configuration to my subjective preferences.

I'd like to point out that the stock speakers are not crap, given the proper HU, they can give surprising performance as I found out.

The second phase of my tuning is optimization and some science instead of just 'trusting my ears'. I don't have the IMPRINT Sound Manager (costing $250) so I have to do with manual adjustments.

After a few measurements and calculations, I configured the MultEQ XT and fed these information. To those who own Denon, Onkyo, and some other home theater receivers using the Audyssey system, this is the same thing Alpine has, and is called IMPRINT.

The results:

Soundstage - this is adjusted according to my seating position. Soundstage result is convincing, I get width and enough depth.

Imaging - vocal and instrument placement is satisfyingly good.

Micro and macro dyamics - thanks to the Alpine unit, information retrieval and reproduction details allowed me to hear varying dynamic contrasts of the recorded material.

Slam - I'm into dynamic music and the adjustments, coupled with the quality of the HU, puts out great slam.

Bass depth - without a subwoofer, I was able to control the low end octaves to be heard and felt. I can feel the low frequency creeping into the steering wheel and feel it.

Is room still available for improvement? Yes! But this entry-level setup gives a lot of value for the money.

The materials I used for tuning included albums from artists such as Mishka Adams, Blue Man Group, Ana Caram, Peder Af Ugglas, Journey, Boston, Patricia Barber, Dream Theater, and Yui.

Comments

Popular Posts