My take on the Nikon D800

Introduction


I finally upgraded to a full-frame DSLR, the Nikon D800. It will replace my current DX body, the Nikon D7000, which has served me well.

The original plan was to get a rumoured D600, at a cheaper price point. However, the D800's AF module that is the same as that of the D4, strongly appealed to me.

AF concerns


One of the horrors floating around the web, is the AF issue of the left AF points of the D800. After taking a few shots of my favorite game, volleyball, I decided to do a quick and simple test to mellow down my concern about a possible issue with my unit.

I took the following photos of my favorite still subject, from the center AF point going to the left-most AF point. Here are the results.

Center AF point

Left-1 AF point (inner)

Left-2 AF point

Left-3 AF point

Left-4 AF point

Left-5 AF point (outer)
The preceeding photos were taken hand-held using a Micro-Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8 with VR off and the D800's built-in flash.

While this certainly is not a definitive way of determining AF issues, I am somewhat pleased that for this combination, distance, subject, and lighting, my D800 isn't bad.

I will have to do some testing again, to wash away remains of concerns about this unit's potential AF issues.

In the field


The UAAP 75 Women's Volleball championship was staged last September 8, 2012 at the University of the East in Caloocan. I was able to shoot with my D800 and would like to share the following photos.

Maru Banaticla of University of Santo Tomas

Maru digs for the ball

Bhebs Pineda of Adamson Universiy

Comments

Popular Posts