Orient Star WZ0011DS "Clubman" chronograph

I wanted to have an "ultimate" Japanese chronograph watch and at first, I was eyeing the Seiko Flightmaster with the 6S37 movement. My interest shifted to the Seiko Ananta, and I asked the local authorized distributor if they can bring it in. The reply I got was positive, but the price they want is a negative, for me.
Then I came across the Seiko Velatura and Sportura, both of which in limited edition, but neither sang to me. My search for an alternative led me to the Orient Star "Clubman" Chronograph that uses caliber 32A00, which is the Seiko 6S37 equivalent.

I pestered the local distributor of Orient if they can bring it in and after months, it came unexpectedly.

Here are the specifications, in Japanese which I copied from the Orient website:
  • 駆動方式:機械式
  • キャリバー:32A00
  • ケース材質:ステンレススチール
  • ガラス材質(表):球面サファイアガラス(無反射コーティング)
  • ガラス材質(裏):サファイアガラス
  • ルミナスライト:あり
  • バンド材質(表面処理):ステンレススチール
  • バンド幅:20mm
  • 中留:プッシュ三つ折式
  • 精度:日差+15秒ー-10秒
  • 防水:10気圧
  • 耐磁:一種
  • 駆動時間:48時間以上
  • 重さ:177g
  • 厚み:15.1mm
  • 横径:41.6mm
  • その他特徴:自動巻(手巻付)、パワーリザーブ機能、1/5秒クロノグラフ機能、秒針停止装置、40石、シースルーバック
  • 保証:2年
  • 発売年月:2007年7月
And the wish, came true...

Image

Alright, so this model is a JDM-only release. How Time Trend SM Manila is able to sneak in this model is an eternal appreciation from me. I asked them about this model months ago, and though it was a wish, it did came true, today.

Since it is JDM release, the specs are in Japanese. This one is perhaps the closest English translation.
  • Movement Caliber 32A00
  • ± 15 seconds per day
  • Water resistant 10 atmosphere
  • Dual sapphire glass (nonreflective coating)
  • Stainless steel case
  • Stainless steel bracelet
  • See through case back
  • Self winding movement
  • 40 Jewels
  • Power reserve 48 hours
  • Frequency: 28,800/h (8 vibrations)
  • Antimagnetic
  • Power reserve indicator
  • Stop watch
  • Chronograph (60 minute meters and 12 Hour meters)
It is no secret that the movement is based on Seiko's 6S37, that Seiko no longer use because they licensed it to TAG Heuer (citation needed here, I may be wrong so please correct me)

While the Seiko "Flightmaster" was my first interest in getting the "ultimate" Japanese chronograph, the Clubman has the following features that I prefer:
  • Rectangular pushers. I don't have a chrono that has these type of pushers yet. And is one of the reason, I was lusting for the Glashütte Original Senator Sixties chronograph.
  • Date window at 6 o'clock. The Flightmaster has the date window between 4 and 5 o'clock. While not a show-stopper for me, the usual 3, 6, or 9 o'clock positions is my preference. It is the same as my Zenith El Primero 36'000 VpH (modern) in this respect.
  • The Seiko Flightmaster loses the index markers at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. The Clubman has them, and while at those locations the indexes are a bit "trimmed" I can live with than instead of numeric (arabic/roman) numerals that are gobbled up by the sub-dials.
  • The Flightmaster has somewhat of a "boring" black/white face. The Clubman is sportier with red accents and red-tipped power reserve hand and second hand (chrono)
  • The bezel is Speedmaster-like and I prefer that simper, compared to the more elaborate bezel of the Flightmaster.
Here are the photos.

I'm pleasantly surprised to know that the dial offers multiple personality, as it changes from chocolate brown to black, depending on the light and angle.

Image
Image 

The strap is weighty and has solid feel, nothing flimsy. It features a single-fold clasp that is signed and is similar to a Seiko Spring Drive that I handled recently.

Image
Image
Image 
The crown is also signed, and the pushers are rectangular type.

Image
Image 
Here are photos of the movement, showing the hairspring, rotor, and column wheel close up.

Image
Image
Image
Image

And finally, wrist shot.

Image

Conclusion

I love this watch, it is not your typical Orient and the build quality is at par with my Rolex and Omega watches. It is also heavy compared to my 14060 and the only heavier watch is my Corum Romvlvs Power Reserve.

Comments

Popular Posts