My results from the KAC SQ Competition...

Negatives:

- Resonance. This is due to the fact that I don't have any dampening in the car.

- Low soundstage. The judge attributed this to #1, he said the soundstage is being pulled down by too much resonance.

- I have a skewed Left-Center on the test track. Everything else is smack on.

- Frontal vocals. There is not depth for vocals and it is in-your-face.

Positives:

- Soundstage is pretty good. If not only for being somewhat low, I would have been really happy.

- Layering and depth. Surprisingly good.

- Top end extension. Shimmer is very good, as well as decay. Extension is suprisingly good, but the jugde also metioned this is being sked by the resonance and he said "sayang."

- Imaging. The judge said he does not give a score of more than 2 even in Pro category and he gave me a 1, so I took that as positive

Plan of attack:

Well after seing all of the equipment and gears in yesterdays car audio comptetition, it is very tempting to go all out and spend for the heck of it. However, I already have a pretty good restraining control on myself after too much spending, within my capacity, in home audio.

1. I belive my skewed left-center can be fixed by further fine tuning my time alignment. This is very easy to do, and most of all, Free.

2. I have to do something on the soundstage without adding weight to my car, i.e., deadening it with Stinger Road Kill. I opine that proper alignment of the tweeters will help. I can accept mods to the sail panel, and preserve the original one. A new sail panel with proper aiming of the tweeters may do the trick.

3. I wuld go back RTFM of the CDA-9886 again. I may have set something in IMPRINT which caused the frontal vocals. This is also free, so what the heck.

While there is an urge to gunnnnit down to Mickey's Audio, I will try everything I can first before I splurge on Micro Precision gears.

Comments

Popular Posts