Tweaking the JVC HA-FX33

I can't believe how I completely ignored that I have spare Small, Large, and double-flanged tips from my previous X3i (I lost it on a plane in one of my travels, fitted with the medium tip). I used these tips with the loaner Woody One unit, but never got to try them on the FX33, until today...

Since I have using the FX33 in a way where it is not lodged deep into my ears, I tried the small tips from the X3i. Unsurprisingly, it changed the presentation of the FX33- the mids are more forward and the sound opened up a bit. The bass is no longer fat sounding and seems to be more articulated. All these improvements gained without performing a non-reversible "Kramer mod" on the FX33.

When listening to Blue Man Group's The Complex album, I find the bass depth a little lacking with the small tips, so I switched to the medium tips hoping I will get the same midrange performance, with a little more depth. I was not deprived, as the medium tips allowed the FX33 to put out more bass depth without affecting the vocals.

I am pleased with the performance I got with the FX33 using the CrossRoads tips. Now, the tips are no longer just "spares" but they allowed the FX33 to breath a new life.

Comments

Popular Posts